The Nia Technique
What is Nia?
Nia is a sensory based movement and lifestyle practice that leads to health, wellness and fitness.
A body-mind-spirit practice by design, Nia empowers people of all backgrounds and fitness levels by connecting them with the voice of the body: sensation. Classes are danced barefoot to customized music that blends Eastern and Western instrumentation and sound.
Nia draws from disciplines of the Martial Arts, Dance Arts and Healing Arts. Every class offers a unique combination of 52 moves that correspond with the main areas of the body: the base, the core and the upper extremities.
Nia is adaptable and therefore appropriate for almost anyone. Stiff beginners and highly fit athletes alike can adapt Nia to meet their needs by choosing from three intensity levels. Nia Trainings collectively explore 52 principles for personal enrichment and professional development.
Nia was created in 1983 by Debbie Rosas and Carlos AyaRosas and is taught in over 45 countries worldwide.
Benefits of Nia
- increases the pleasure of living in your body
- creates weight loss and proper weight maintenance
- strengthens muscles, improves muscle tone, and increases muscle definition
- calms the mind and relieves stress
- improves endurance
- increases grace and flexibility
- builds reservoirs of chi (life force)
- improves cognitive functioning
- balances the autonomic nervous system
- improves posture and can even increase height
- improves organ function, particularly that of the heart and lungs
- enhances sensory awareness
- heightens sexual function
- alleviates emotional problems, including depression, anxiety, and stress
- improves circulation of blood and improves lymphatic drainage
- strengthens immunity
- it’s fun!
“Vickie is an inspired teacher, who creates meaningful and memorable learning for every student in her care. She artfully brings her curriculum to students and they respond to her teaching with joyful engagement. As a teacher, she is exceptionally perceptive and skillful. She has a well-developed interpersonal intelligence. She listens to the students as she teaches, monitoring, adjusting, and inspiring them to find their own growth edge. Vickie is bright, positive, and committed to improving Wellness experiences for children and adults.”
“Vickie’s gentle and insightful guidance have by far been the most important catalysts helping to restore a sense of peace and self-worth to my core. I have finally re-entered my body through movement inspired by her.” After a long period highlighted by self-doubt, I am walking with confidence and self worth.”